Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Saturday 22 August 2009

Analogue Sound Workshop

See also my previous post on this topic: Geeky creative things in London http://brodiesnotes.blogspot.com/2009/07/geeky-creative-things-in-london.html

Update August 2016 - Ian runs bespoke analogue sound workshops for 2 people in his flat, for £55 per person http://www.ianhelliwell.co.uk/asw.htm

Last year I went on "Analogue Sound Workshop", a one-day course in Brighton, with Ian Helliwell (the tutor, who created The Tone Generation podcasts). We did all sorts of fun things like splicing 1/4 inch tape loops then playing them on an old tape machine and we also soldered a mini theremin kit.

One of the stranger things was drawing sound on a slightly wider 16mm tape by using patterns from Letraset / Letratone. The tape was threaded through a projector and the patterns (because of where we had positioned them on the tape) are able to create sound from an optical sensor. I think the best explanation of this might be this 2.4.10 Optical techniques which I found on Google books Sound synthesis and sampling.

We also prised open a walkie talkie and unearthed its circuit board, tinkering about on the metal contacts with a pin then once we liked the sound, soldering to make a new connection.

It was a lovely day, reminded me of the best sort of unhurried afternoons doing art projects at school. I'd highly recommend it.

There's one in November.

Analogue Sound Workshop
Ian Helliwell
A one-day practical session focussing on analogue electronic music techniques using hands on tools and equipment. Each student will make their own tape loops, draw sound onto 16mm film, build a Junior Theremin kit and creatively solder a walkie-talkie circuit. All materials provided. Course notes
8 November 2009, 11am-6pm
£90 full / £80 concessions
http://www.phoenixarts.org/courses.htm

Noisemusic also sounds fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).